Dunbar Family Foundation Scholarship
Elmer G. Dunbar was the principal of Chesterton High School from 1947 to 1959. His sons, Bob and Dick, as well as grandchildren, Debbie (Dunbar) Brown, Dick and Dave Dunbar, graduated from CHS. Elmer’s daughter-in-law, Becky Dunbar, worked for Duneland schools at Bailly Elementary and at CHS in the main office and career office until her retirement. In addition, Elmer’s brother-in-law, Norman Michel, taught at CHS in the 1950s. Bob and Becky Dunbar have financially contributed to the Duneland Education Foundation in recent years.
The purpose of the Dunbar Family Foundation Scholarship is to financially assist high school students pursue higher education. The Dunbar Family Foundation Scholarship will be managed by the Duneland Education Foundation.
Guidelines and Selection Criteria:
- Potential recipients must be a high school senior at Chesterton High School and have demonstrated academic success at Chesterton, which display an ability to succeed at their chosen post-secondary educational institution.
- Potential recipients must provide evidence of financial need in order to attend a higher education institution in the state of Indiana.
- Scholarship funds are to the used only for the payment of tuition, books, or housing while pursuing a bachelor’s degree or pursing a technical certificate from a school accredited by a regional or national organization for the relevant vocation or trade program. The Duneland Education Foundation will make payment directly to the University or School to pay these expenses.
- Potential recipients must provide evidence of regular part-time employment either during the school year or during a school break.
- Written recommendation from a school principal, administrator, coach, or teacher is required.
- Scholarship applicants will be vetted by the Duneland Education Foundation.
- Three $10,000 scholarships will be awarded to qualified applicants.
Please submit your application in PDF form to firstname.lastname@example.org or return to counseling office by
April 23, 2021.